Carbon Monoxide Detectors Can Save Lives

Carbon monoxide detectors provide peace of mind to homeowners and occupants by alerting them of potentially lethal levels of CO in the home or business. These detectors help keep occupants safe by giving them enough warning to exit the building, call 911, and get fresh air before poisoning symptoms set in. However, it’s important to know that CO detectors can also be false alarms if not properly maintained. That’s why it’s so important to test your CO detector regularly to ensure that it is working as intended.

Ideally, it is best to test your CO detector monthly. Simply locate the 'test' button on your device and press it. Some models will beep, flash, or both to indicate that the device is functioning as intended. If you have mobility issues and cannot safely reach your detectors, ask for assistance from a family member or friend to test them for you.

It’s also a good idea to keep the batteries in your carbon monoxide detector fresh. Most detectors use replaceable lithium-ion batteries that typically last between 10 and 15 years, but you’ll need to change them out if yours are getting low. Some plug-in carbon monoxide detectors have backup batteries that can be plugged in to prevent a power outage from causing the unit to go down. If you have plug-in CO detectors, it’s a good idea to swap out the backup batteries every month as well.

In addition to changing the batteries and testing the device, it’s a good idea to regularly clean your CO detectors as well. Dust and debris can block the sensors, making it more difficult for your device to accurately detect dangerous levels of CO. A damp cloth can work wonders to clean your CO detector and keep it in tip-top shape.

If your CO detector is chirping, don’t ignore it. This can indicate either a carbon monoxide leak or a low battery. If the beeping continues for more than 30 seconds, everyone in the home or business should exit to fresh air and call 911 immediately. Regardless of the cause, do not re-enter the home or business until the fire department has given it the all-clear.

A carbon monoxide detector is one of the most essential safety devices for your home or business, especially if you use gas-powered appliances. It can be easy to forget to test it, but this simple task can be the difference between a false alarm and a life-saving device. If you have any questions about your carbon monoxide detector, contact the professionals at Atomatic Mechanical Services, Inc. today! We’ll help you keep your loved ones and belongings safe by installing the best equipment for your needs. Our highly trained technicians are certified and experienced, so you can trust us to handle your installation job effectively. Call today to schedule an appointment. Our friendly team will make your experience as quick and easy as possible.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can be deadly when it's inhaled in large amounts. It's produced by incomplete combustion of fossil fuels, such as gas and wood stoves, furnaces, kerosene heaters, cars idling in garages and portable generators. It can also be emitted from cooking appliances, fireplaces and charcoal grills in confined spaces. Carbon monoxide poisoning is entirely preventable if the right safety precautions are taken.

A carbon monoxide detector provides a sense of security in our homes, alerting us and occupants to potentially harmful levels of the gas. Often, these detectors can alert us before we become sick from CO poisoning. This gives us time to take action, such as opening doors and windows and turning off gas appliances. It's important to test the functioning of these detectors, especially during the cooler months, when many of us use our heating systems and other gas-powered equipment in our homes.

Test the CO Detector

You can easily test your carbon monoxide detector by pressing its "test" button. Look for the button to be located near the power cord or on the side of the detector. Once pressed, the device should emit a sound similar to the noise of a smoke detector when the alarm is activated. If you don't hear the sound, it may be time to replace the battery. Alternatively, you can simply open a few doors and windows in your home, making sure to close them before you head outside.

It's important to test your carbon monoxide detectors regularly to ensure that they are working properly. It's even better to do this on the same schedule that you test your smoke detectors. For example, you could test your carbon monoxide detector once a month by pushing the test button and listening for the sound.

Another benefit of regularly testing your carbon monoxide detector is that it helps you to know when the device is reaching its end of life and needs to be replaced. Generally, these devices have a lifespan of around 5-7 years. When you hear the distinctive beeping of a carbon monoxide detector, this usually indicates that it's time to replace it.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause a variety of symptoms, including headache, dizziness and shortness of breath. The symptoms are directly related to the level of exposure and how long the exposure lasts. In general, the more severe and longer the exposure, the more serious the symptoms are. Certain groups are more sensitive to the effects of CO exposure, including seniors, babies and young children, and those with breathing issues or anemia. These individuals are encouraged to have their detectors checked and tested regularly, as well as to seek professional help as soon as they notice the onset of symptoms. A trained technician can provide expert advice and guidance on how best to protect your family from the dangers of CO poisoning. They can also assess the condition of your existing carbon monoxide detectors and recommend appropriate repairs or replacements as necessary.